Suicide in Youth
Did you know that in Illinois suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for ages 10-14, the 3rd leading cause of death for ages 12-18, and the 3rd leading cause of death for ages 18-22?If you suspect that your child might be thinking about suicide, DO NOT remain silent.
- Ask your child about it. Do not be afraid to say the word “suicide.” Talking about suicide does not increase the chances of a suicide attempt.
- Reassure them that you love them. All problems can be worked out and you are willing to help.
- Ask your children to talk about their feelings. Listen carefully. Do not dismiss the problem.
- Remove all lethal weapons from your home.
- Seek professional help. Ask your pediatrician for guidance.